Sunday, February 22, 2015

Review: Pressure Point by Olivia Luck


Title: Pressure Point
Author: Olivia Luck
Genre: romance, new adult, contemporary
Reviewed by: Cassie
Summary (from goodreads.com)

I know what you're thinking. It's unconventional to want a man nine years older than you. It's inconvenient to crush on your dearest friend's older brother. It's silly to pine after a man for six years. It's cliche to lust after a celebrity. It's pathetic to fall in love with a man who barely knows you exist.

I know what you're thinking because I've thought it all, too. And yet that hasn't stopped me from wanting Blake Campbell. Charming, gorgeous, brilliant, kind, selfless- Blake is everything I've ever wanted, but he doesn't see me that way. In fact, he hardly noticed me until one night.

When his eyes finally open and he finds out I've left, will it be too late?

I was hooked after reading that summary. It was like getting every possible romantic tension/problem and smooshing it into ONE AWESOME SITUATION/COUPLE. I REALLY WANTED TO LIKE THIS!

After reading it though, I was extremely disappointed. So many reviews complimented Olivia Luck on her artistic writing style, and said it was very beautiful, that the story was lovely, and blah blah blah. 

That's probably what got me so intrigued- not only was this storyline promising, but a writing style to drool over? Sign me up!

How it went down is another story.

I was expecting a dramatic and potent love story- forbidden love, a scorned woman, and a man who will do anything to get her back- but she won't let him because she's SCORNED!

Isn't that a delicious?!?!?! That's what I thought I was going to get after reading this.
I thought I was going to get a suave and devilish guy who was swoon-worthy and spicy and everything nice, and . . . I didn't.

What I got instead was this:

-a lead woman (Stella) who annoyed me to no end. She pretended to be confidant and loving and tried to be the "perfect woman" (imma stab someone for all that sexism). In reality, she came off as unrealistic, somewhat delusional, overly emotional, and weak. She did NOT stick to her guns. She was in no way BA. And she was way too accepting of Blake's jerkface ways.
Have a backbone, woman!!

-Blake. At first, I was interested. Detached yet sexy, cool yet charming. James Bond may or may not have come to mind whilst reading about him.
Then his immature and so, SO not cool personality came to the surface. No, he was not sexy. He was selfish and unapologetic and rude and annoying. If I was Stella, I would have taken my four-inch stiletto heel and stabbed him mercilessly while laughing my butt off.
THAT'S RIGHT.

-no plot, save for pointless melodrama

Basically, yeah. Blake/Stella's relationship did NOT give me the tingles or warm fuzzies or anything. I didn't think it was love, and I was SERIOUSLY DISAPPOINTED. It wasn't intense like I thought it would be, nor forbidden, and it wasn't even close to being cute or lovely or anything good.

Ugh. It makes me cringe knowing that there are relationships and couples out there just like this. Relationships should be a partnership, where both people equally contribute and share. I personally do not believe a relationship is good OR healthy where one person is continuously selfless and giving, while the other partner is taking and taking.
Therefore, I did not like the romance portrayed in this story in any way. I found it too traditional (in the sense that the male is overly dominant and alpha and the female just goes with it and likes it) and in no way appealing.

Hugs and kisses~~ 
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment