Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Review: Storm Siren by Mary Weber


Title: Storm Siren
Author: Mary Weber
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Reviewed by: Cassie
Summary (from goodreads.com)

"I raise my chin as the buyers stare. Yes. Look. You don't want me. Because, eventually, accidentally, I will destroy you." 

In a world at war, a slave girl's lethal curse could become one kingdom's weapon of salvation. If the curse- and the girl- can be controlled.

As a slave in the war-weary kingdom of Faelen, seventeen-year-old Nym isn't merely devoid of rights, her Elemental kind are only born male and always killed at birth - meaning, she shouldn't even exist.

Standing on the auction block beneath smoke-drenched mountains, Nym faces her fifteenth sell. But when her hood is removed and her storm-summoning killing curse revealed, Nym is snatched up by a court advisor and given a choice: be trained as the weapon Faelen needs to win the war, or be killed. 

Choosing the former, Nym is unleashed into a world of politics, bizarre parties, and rumors of an evil more sinister than she's been prepared to fight . . . not to mention the handsome trainer whose dark secrets lie behind a mysterious ability to calm every lightning strike she summons.

But what if she doesn't want to be the weapon they've all been waiting for?

Set in a beautifully eclectic world of suspicion, super abilities, and monsters, Storm Siren is a story of power. And whoever controls that power will win.


Let's just take a moment to admire that cover.
And that title.

Because, WOW. It's so purty that I couldn't help myself.

. . . Buuuuuuuuuuuuut.

It was a bad decision.

The regret.

(hollah for Game of Thrones, anyone?)

Well, it wasn't that bad. Almost. Not quite.

Let us begin.


The world:
I liked it. I thought Weber is a great story-teller and she has a knack for fantastical worlds/kingdoms/etc. Was it creative? Eh . . . Not REALLY. But it was nice.

The plot:
NO.

The characters:
I WILL STAB ALL YOU BITCHES WITH A SPORK.
Fear me.

Guhhhh. Shudder.

THE PROTAGONIST:
Nym, our tragic heroine, what shall we do with you?!? You're such a poor girl who is so admirable because she manages to stay strong!!! The determination and inner-battle is just-- I can't even---I just want to smother you . . . with kisses of course!!
No. Imma smother this hooker for realz.
I can understand some self-doubt here and there, even some pity-partying and "oh poor me" moments.
BUT NO. NOT FOR NYM. SHE EXHAUSTED THAT IN THE FIRST HALF.

THE LOVE INTEREST:
Oh. This is awkward. I can't recall this guy's name, even though I literally finished it five minutes ago. Huh.
I'll let that speak for itself.
On another note, I'd like to say how UNAPPEALING AND BLEGH-WORTHY this guy was.
He was boring. He did not make me like him. I found nothing good about him, except perhaps that he was an evil gangsta in his early years, but the fact that he repented and became 'good' (which I have my doubts about) ruins all of his possible appeal.
While we're at it, let's just cram all possible romance cliches into this one boring guy. Oh, so all the women around love you? That's nice. Oh, so you have a special and mysterious talent that is never fully explained? Even sweeter. Oh, so you soothe the storm in the heroine's mind/soul? Interesting. And, what's that? You also manage to overcome your emotion-less default nature, because of love?
That's hilarious.

Anyways, I'd like to say I liked ONE of the characters, but I fear-
OH WAIT.
I liked Lord Myles or whatever his name was. Yeah, apparently he's uber handsome and shit, AND he's demented/power-obsessed, so he was actually interesting. (Though somewhat stereotypically evil, and never explored in-depth)
Whoa. Now that I think about it, yeah. Everyone's either good or evil. No fine lines or anything cool.
BORING.

Storm Siren started out entertaining, but ended with me eager to get it over with.
Sigh. Oh well.

Hugs and kisses!
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment