Friday, October 26, 2012

Review: Starters by Lissa Price


Title: Starters
Author: Lissa Price
Reviewed by: Cassie
The Fairies Say: Powerful and page-turning!

Summary (from Goodreads.com)

HER WORLD IS CHANGED FOREVER

Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man.

He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders-seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party-and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined . . .

Starters begins with Callie walking into Prime Destinations, just checking out the place. She's just half-considering the idea but is amazed at their luxuries. Fresh, cold water at an endless supply. Clean, expensive seats. Supertrouffles given as gifts. What could be better? If they're willing to give her this just as someone thinking about it, the idea of renting out her body for loads of money is majorly appealing. But something her dad once said makes her pause. So she leaves, and notices how desperate and surprised everyone is that she left. 

She returns the next day, beat-up, and eager to sign the contract.

So, I did like Starters, but I was pretty disappointed. I had this big hope that, hey! This sounds amazing, I've heard a lot about it, and the cover is like nothing I've seen! Ahhh young me, stupid me... I have this horrible habit of judging... my dad likes to call me a judgmental recluse. 
In nicer words of course.
Anyways, you should try this out, but it's definitely a borrow/library check-out. The idea of the environment gained major cool points. The idea of body rentals gained major +'s. Callie's all-shall-bend-to-my-will attitude gained major Cassie points. But alas, the relationships were a big, red X. And then the lack of descriptions of the Spore Wars and overall situation were major -'s. So they sort of balanced out, but I must say it was a quick read.

Callie, our main character, was.... interesting. (Interesting and questionable are both words you'll find I use to describe things/people I don't have anything to say about but want to sound smart) Basically, we find that 1.) she's perfect. legit. Because, you know, totally Hunger Games style, she's buffed and made-up to perfection
2.) she's got a killer instinct. You know, from living off the streets. Kind of like Katniss, now that I think about it...
3.) she risks her life for money. Now, Katniss doesn't really do this, but Gale puts himself in a lot of danger for the food.
4.) she lives to protect her younger brother Tyler. Hmm, this sounds awfully close to Prim...
I found a few suspicious things like this but, I must continue. She's likeable I suppose, and definitely tough. She's a risk-taker, but still enjoys luxuries. Plus, she has a soft spot for an almost-perfect attractive young male. That'll make the story interesting ;)

The other characters felt a little flat to me, like they fulfilled a purpose and that's it. The only semi-interesting person I thought was the villain (of course) but I can't even say he's sexy 'cuz I don't know what the heck he looks like. But I like to imagine that underneath the mask he wears (oh yes, our villain wears a mask) he is extremely gorgeous and young and has smoldering eyes. *awkwardly coughs* So shoot me. I like myself a smolder. (Tangled reference anyone!!?)


And, ya know, if our villain looks like Ian SMOLDERhalder, so be it.

The plot was full of action, but the details were a bit questionable. (See? there.) I usually am not one to ask, Now how did THAT happen? But somehow this got me asking. Not in a good way. BUT. You will like the plot. I swear it.

I will probably read the next book (there better be one, otherwise I'm slapping someone) because I do want to happen to our villain (perhaps I shall call him Smolderhalder just for the sake of it) and I do want to know if he's as undeniably gorgeous as I hope he is.

Ta-ta for now lovelies, come back soon!

Cassie xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment