Sunday, October 21, 2012

Review: Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen


Title: Dark Kiss
Author: Michelle Rowen
Reviewed by: Cassie
The Fairies Say: Unique and Interesting

Summary (from Goodreads.com)

I don't do dangerous. Smart, ΓΌber-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back.

Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me...

NIGHTWATCHERS

When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising...

Nightwatchers really wasn't what I expected, and I won't tell you if that's a bad thing or not. I think this one is for people with a really specific taste and I just didn't have that specific taste. This is an interesting book it's just I couldn't get into the groove.

It begins with a prologue. Bishop is getting prepared to go somewhere... and he has to get prepared by the gatekeeper. Bishop is certain he'll be prepared for his mission, despite the warnings.
The next chapter is Samantha and her best friend at the all-age club. Her "number-one unattainable crush" is staring at her and wants to talk to her.

Samantha is not someone I like to read about. I feel like she'd be great to hang out with, but to read from her perspective seriously made me want to throw something of hers in a fire and dance around that fire while chanting (Gregorian chants!!) witch spells. (By the way I listened to Gregorian chants in bio Friday. Made me scream)
Don't get me wrong, Samantha's a cool chick. But that's sort of why I didn't like her; she knew she was cool and was always like "I use my sarcasm and snark whenever nervous" It's like, no, REALLY?? Just spell it out for us, will you? It bugs me when someone knows and takes pride in her 'abilities'. She was just way too opinionated for me. Some people make me almost pee my pants with their opinions and gasp from laughing, but Sam made me almost have a headache.
Bishop lacked a spark for me. Don't get me wrong; that cover of him (at least I think so...) pretty much shows you he is drop dead sexayyy. But his emotions just threw me all around! No, he lacked that attractive Will-Herondale-brooding vibe, yet he was broody. Some people pull it off but then there are people like so...
And you kind of cringe and think, does his head hurt yet? and then I don't really care.

There wasn't much action, but then again I had to skim it so I didn't get a headache. Basically, the plot is super cool. It's actually really creative but (wait for it...) lacking.

BUT.

If you like broody fallen angels who are unnaturally attractive and snarky (and-she-knows-it! [did anyone get that sexy and I know it reference? Really hoping so...]) heroines and a creative, slightly lacking in action plot, then this book is for you! And either way you should try it out. 
You know, just 'cuz.

Thanks for stopping by!! Can't wait to see you next time ;)
Cassie 

No comments:

Post a Comment