Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Author Michelle Hodkin

Rate: 5 glass slippers

Summary from Goodreads:

Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.

She’s wrong.


Yes, reader, the day has come that your beloved blogger, Rafia, has given a book a 5 out of 5 of her own accord. That is your cue to sprint to the near bookstore or library, find The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and read the entire book in one sitting. Really…do it. Mara Dyer deserved this rate and now, behold…my top 5 reasons to why I gave Mara Dyer a perfect 5!

1.       The Girl. Mara Dyer. She’s interesting. Her friends (I use that word loosely) have all died in an accident and she doesn’t remember it. She’s witty and sarcastic, but under it all, Mara is a broken girl who is trying to stay strong. I guess, to some people, the whole broken girl ruse is overrated, BUT you must give Mara a chance. She’s trying to figure out what’s up with her life and trying to start over at a new school (I know how hard that is!). Mara isn’t cocky. She isn’t overly confident. She isn’t extremely gorgeous or smart. Mara kinda reminds me of my dear friend Cassie (minus the accident and crazy hallucinations). They are both sassy, artsy, and someone you would definitely love to be around. Mara has obstacles but I think she does a pretty good job of getting over them. I read a few reviews about Mara Dyer and most of them bashed her as a protagonist but I gotta say, she is definitely more than I expected. I promise you, she is one of those characters that makes a book memorable.

2.       The Guy. Noah Shaw. Ohmysweetgoodness. He is classified as what I like to call, hotter that the bottom of my laptop, and trust me, my laptop is constantly overheating! Ahh, I can’t do his looks justice, so here, I quote Mara and Noah’s first meeting:

“I whipped around at the sound of the warm, lilting British accent behind me.
         The person it belonged to sat on the picnic table under the tiki hut. His general state of disarray was almost enough to distract me from his face. The boy- if he could be called that, looking like he belonged in college not high school- wore Chucks with holes worn through, no laces. Slim charcoal pants and a white button down shirt covered his lean, spare frame. His tie was loose, his cuffs undone, and his blazer lay in a heap beside him as he lazily leaned back on the palms of his hands.
        His strong jaw and chin were slightly scruffy, as though he hadn't shaved in days, and his eyes looked gray in the shade. Strands of his dark chestnut hair stuck out every which way… He could be considered pale compared to everyone else I'd observed in Florida thus far, which is to say he wasn't orange.
        He was beautiful. And he was staring at me.” (Chapter 4)

 Noah is a ladies man. He is English. His room (YES, we get to see his bedroom!) is filled with books. No matter how much Mara pushes him away, he always finds a way to turn her around. Noah is the sweetest guy ever…sometimes I want to shake Mara for her decisions regarding Noah, but in the end, it just makes the romance even more amazing!

3.       The Dialogue. With Mara’s sass and Noah’s cockiness, it’s just so…PERFECT! Michelle Hodkin does such a good job with the dialogue, it was just so witty! I kinda want more Mara/Noah argument because they come up with the randomest things ever. I kinda don’t want to give away too much so, moving on…

4.       The Mystery. Mysterious accident. Everyone dies. One survivor who doesn’t remember anything. Hot guy randomly interested in survivor. Yes, there is a ton of mystery in this book. Michelle Hodkin does a fabulous job of setting up the book for the sequel. *squeal* YES THE SEQUEL!! I could not put this book down, that is how much I was dying to find out what was going to happen!

5.       The Sequel. The Evolution of Mara Dyer comes out this fall. Nuff said

So…go find this book and read it!! I promise you won’t regret it! And even if you don’t like it, you will probably keep reading because you are that in love with Noah. ;) Until next time!

Rafia 

No comments:

Post a Comment