Sunday, July 8, 2012

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Title: Paranormalcy
Author: Kiersten White
Reviewed by: Cassie
Rating: four and a half glass slippers!




Summary (from BN.com)

Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.
But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.
So much for normal.

If the cover hasn't blown you away already, you should drive, run, bicycle, or somehow get yourself to a hospital to check for brain damage. That or you should seriously consider calling a therapist for when I come at ya with plastic sporks. From looking at my 4.5 glass slippers rating, I think you know that this bad boy has a lot of kick to him. (.. it?) 
Let's begin with the basics.

The heroine-
Evelyn, or Evie is a... something? Her description of herself? "I was pretty. Too skinny, but I'd always been something of a beanpole. And, dang, really flat. This was freaking me out."
As you can tell, she is a hilarious point of view to read. Her almost naive personality conflicts with her ready-to-tase viewpoint. Seriously, she had me cracking up (probably to my family's concern) quite a few times in the middle of the night. (that's another thing I need to touch base on)
Seriously, if I could have one best friend in the whole world, Evie would be the girl. She names her pink taser "Tasey" and she has a hilarious obsession with pink. Now, don't go thinking Ugh. Pink. Please tase me. No, no. Otherwise I just might. But anyways, it's funny how Kiersten White portrays it. Really, I've got to hand it to Kiersten as to how she takes normally groan-worthy situations and makes Evie manipulate them to be awesome.

The guy(s)-
STOP RIGHT THERE. This is not even a love triangle. It's just, there are two guys males interested in her.
1. Reth. Oh beautiful (yes guys can be beautiful) Reth. He's so seductive in his ways it makes you want to sigh... but then beat the crap out of him, perhaps even use Tasey on him. He is a faerie, oh yes, and one with an agenda. For Evie. Somehow he manipulates her commands into ways for him to try to steal Evie away. His eyes and hair are like ripe wheat, golden, and his laugh like silver. And he can dance.

Did I mention guys who dance well are extremely attractive to me?
2. Lend. Oh wonderful Lend. He has many faces (literally) and only one real one under them all. A nice, delicious description? I'm afraid not. There's no real description of Lend, which leaves lots to the imagination. Yes, lots. All we know is that he has an amazing voice that makes Evie go weak at the knees. Oh snap, that's a very red, very big DANGER!!! How can I go to sleep now, imagining that voice?? Oh boy. Lend is reeeeeal nice. Mmmmhmm. That's right. Get to sleep (if you can manage that...) ladies because you want to dream about him.

The world-
Somehow, Kiersten White has worked her magic. She has made earth in all her (sorry) boring beauty, amazing. Is this how an author must think?
Kiersten: Hmmm not interesting enough... *inserts faerie portal*
... *contemplates*...
Ooooo! Let's put an awesome water spirit/nymph equivalent!
... *more contemplating*
Ah-hah! More evil sister/similar creation interaction, here we come!

See, it's a great, very interesting world. With faeries and all that paranormal stuff. I am a happy camper.

The adventure-
Okay, stop right there, *holds up Stop sign* major action is coming on through...
Yep, there's action. And gnarly adventure. Lots of death. Lots of beautiful fire. Lots of... stuff. It's fun, that's all I can say. Reeeeeeal fun.

Yes, yes. I hear you. Where's the other half of the glass slipper? It pains me to do this, but...
Evie and Lend. You make the perfect couple, you really do. Except... there was a hint of rush? I know kiss, kiss, make out etc. is very popular, but if they reeeeally loved each other... why must they makeout so long after only a day of Lend asking her out? It wasn't lusty, but still, I had just a minor issue with them taking it 'slow' and yet they makeout for at least 30 minutes in the morning after he asks her out. But, hey... *dreamy smile*  It was both their first kiss. So sweet.

This book reminded me of... Sour Patch Kids? Chocolate dipped strawberries?
Sweet and fun but also with a bit darkness to it. Chocolate strawberries it is!
Until next time! 
Cassie
 (Yeahhhh buddy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment