Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Iron King by Julie Kagawa


Title: Iron King
Author: Julie Kagawa
Reviewed by: Cassie
Rating: four glass slippers



Summary (from BN.com)

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

Right from the start the cover draws your eye and makes you want to read it. Interesting model on the cover? Check. Interesting thorns, vines, and odd stuff in the corners? Check. Great title? Check.
Now, you may be thinking faery stuff... please gag me. I command you to not think that. Erase your mind of it. Wipe your mind white. Now, I haven't read many faery books but in comparison to the ones I have, this book blows the mind. Simple and straight blowing of the mind. So- extremely, somewhat-stupidly brave and selfless heroine. Great, fun best friend. Extremely, nerve-wrackingly smexy yet *dangerous* (read: dangerous) guy. Marvelous world. Adventure.
Okay, so that is the book in simple words from my perspective. Let's focus on them, shall we?

Extremely, somewhat-stupidly brave + selfless heroine-
So. Meghan Chase. Boring name, not so boring gal. She's half-faery, half-human, with a cause. Yep, she's on a journey to save someone super important to her and needs her. So what does she do to save this person? Convinces her best friend to bring her into the dangerous world of faeries. Immediately, faeries try to kill or toy with her. Does she stop and break down? Nope. She continues on, slightly disturbed, but determined nonetheless. I think I would have been in the corner rocking back-and-forth already.
Next, she endures the nasty court life in an attempt to gleam more info. When Elysium, a faery holiday, goes wrong, she escapes from the Seelie court and decides trek to the Unseelie court. Blahblahblah (more spoilery action which involves a smexy guy) and wah-lah! Suddenly she is where the big bad battle goes down. It's pretty epic if I say so myself. So, what did we get from all of this? She's strong and determined.

Great, fun best friend-
Robbie.. Robin... Puck. Bright red hair and green eyes. He is light-hearted and fun to read about. He also makes scenes very interesting. He calls the Unseelie prince "princeling"; what is not to like?

Extremely, nerve-wrackingly smexy yet *dangerous* guy-
Please, I advise you to hold your breath. Because Ash here will blow you away. (Keep holding that breath, maybe we can convince him to do CPR on you...)
Thick black hair, described as raven feathers. Gray eyes, described as metal chips. Tall and lean with a body like a martial-artist or dancer. (Please dance for me Ash) He comes off as cold and deadly, a true predator, but once Meghan starts talking to him, he gives her those tiny smiles (*dies*) and his eyes are warm and smiling. But don't get soft on me guys!! At the end of the night he says in a whisper to her, "I'll kill you." and doesn't even look back. Please read the book and fan-girl with me.

Marvelous World-
Oh god. I can't even do this world justice. I'm serious. Gone away is our boring human world and the world of the faeries came in. Seriously, I would butcher this magnificent place if I attempted to describe it. It's beautiful yet absolutely terrifying. If you got lost in it, it would mean your certain death. And yet... who could stop him/herself?

Adventure-
As I attempted to depict in my heroine description, Meghan goes through a back-breaking journey. The adventure is really great and there are some pretty epic battle scenes. The characters never stay in one place for very long; they are constantly on the move.

Now if I haven't convinced you to read it yet, I don't know what's going on inside your head. I might just have to bring out the plastic forks. 
However, you may be wondering, what is with the four glass slippers instead of five? No worries all, I simply have high standards. I demand a book to blow my mind AND make me daydream-and-dream about the guy(s) constantly. Sorry Ash babe, you simply scare me too much and I don't exactly like my boys Edward style with icy bodies. <3


No comments:

Post a Comment