Saturday, July 28, 2012

Illuminate by Aimee Agresti


Title: Illuminate
Author: Aimee Agresti
Reviewed by: Cassie
Rating: 3 glass slippers

Summary (from BN.com)

Haven Terra is a brainy, shy high school outcast. But everything changes when she is awarded a prestigious internship at a posh Chicago hotel under the watchful eyes of a group of gorgeous strangers: the powerful and alluring hotel owner Aurelia Brown; her second-in-command, the dashing Lucian Grove; and their stunning but aloof staff of glamazons called The Outfit.
As Haven begins falling for Lucian, she discovers that these beautiful people are not quite what they seem. With the help of a mysterious book, she uncovers the evil agenda of Aurelia and company: they’re in the business of buying souls. Will they succeed in wooing Haven to join them in their recruitment efforts, or will she be able to thwart this devilish set’s plans to take the souls of her classmates on prom night at the hotel?


When I first set out to read this book, I expected soul trade and dangerously gorgeous people. Maybe an angel here or there. I'm sad to say my expectations were not met.


The heroine-
Haven (I immediately thought it looked like "Heaven") is... very "ugh" worthy. She's not really a fun read. No, I take that back. She's not a fun read at all. Uh-uh. She's way good and pure and amazingly annoying. I hate it when weak heroines who don't have that badass mindset are set out to save the world or whatever. It plain old irks me. This is the case with Haven. She's got caramel skin, deep amber eyes, and dark honey hair. I myself would think that's gorgeous, but nooooooo. Haven has this insecurity issue (like so many stab-worthy protagonists, le sigh) and she kind of goes from this stuttering, "cutely" awkward girl to this elegant, highly regarded, confidant young woman. And she wields a knife. Is she worthy of wielding a knife, in my opinion? NO. HELL NO. Girls like her should NOT have knives. They are not deliciously dangerous. They are not even as dangerous as a costumed dog. A drugged, costumed dog.
Basically I can usually understand Haven's thinking... I just don't like it. It's totally handle-able. I just don't like her being projected as this strong heroine who's "capable" when really she's just a braver-than-average nerd. (NOTHING wrong with that) Who happens to be absurdly.... um... let's call it "special."


The guys-
Okay so this is not a love triangle. It's a "I like HIM but I also unconsciously am falling for HIM". 


Lucian- I like his personality. I like the bad boys. I do. But somehow... (I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DESCRIBE THIS!) Lucian is a bad boy who hopes to be better. But not in that totally swoon-worthy case. It's more of like a... "I take innocent, unsuspecting girls' souls... but now I've met pure Haven! Ah dear me, save my soul! I wish to be with you, Haven, and have a cleansed soul!" (except way less lame) So... I mean he's attractive and he's bad-boy. He just totally lacks game. I mean, come on! I really hope when he comes back (HE BETTER) he has learned some new, extremely sexy moves.


Lance- Okay, I'm SORRY! But he totally had the Andrew Garfield from The Amazing Spiderman feel to him! 


And that is extremely delicious. So, here's what you need to know: he kisses amazingly. He is absurdly cute and nerdy. He slouches. He's adorable and... yeah. I think he could have a lot more depth to him but he ended up turning out kind of boring. An adorable boring but boring nonetheless.


Best friend-
I love gay guys. They are so funny and amazing. Dante (awesome name) is amazing. He's funny, bubbly, and cute! When he lends her his belt it's so funny/cute. However, for 1/2 the book he wasn't really there or nice so I didn't really like him for 1/2 the book.


The adventure/world-
Okay so the hotel they're staying at? TOTALLY WICKED. I mean it. It's beautiful and described purrrr-fectly (yeah I just did that [no there are no cats, unfortunately]) and it's full of lots of intrigue and secrets. Lots and lots of them.


But. (the big butt) The adventure/action was kind of confusing. So, Haven just blindly trusts some random book she finds in her room? (I swear I have lots more issues with minor/major details I just have sleep-deprivation and can't remember them.) Also, the action was kind of slow... maybe from 250 pages on? I just got tired of all this nonsense sensory details and I just wanted to cut to the chase. 


Sorry if this is obvious that I'm like, a zombie, but hope you enjoyed!
Don't forget to comment and subscribe! Off to get my beauty sleep ;)


Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment